I are likely to do loads of analysis earlier than making giant buying selections and up to now this receiver is receiving a fairly rosy reception! Its predecessor, the 1019, was CNET’s and Gizmodo’s prime mid-range receiver. Each reviewers had simply as excessive hopes for the 1020, and Gizmodo already known as it the very best receiver $550 should buy, saying the 1020 “hit the candy spot” that gave essentially the most bang for purchaser’s buck.
The critics I learn all raved in regards to the wonderful sound high quality, however the 1020 brings some new choices to the desk for a mid-range receiver.
In brief, essentially the most worthwhile options you get with this mannequin that you do not get with the subsequent step down are:
1. A fifth HDMI port in again, an additional sixth in entrance (for digital cameras, computer systems, and many others.).
2. Analog video upscaling (which I do not care an excessive amount of about since most of my content material is HD already or performed via an upscaling participant).
3. The iContolAV iPhone app. Very cool for controlling quantity and switching inputs. Works just by having your receiver linked to ethernet and your iPhone linked to the community through WiFi. A number of instances the app has had bother correctly connecting, nevertheless it often works effectively.
4. Web radio with programmable stations, which is cool, although you may’t presently management the station picks from the iPhone App, sadly.
5. A colour configuration interface output to your TV through the HDMI output. I can not think about making an attempt to configure all my audio system with out seeing a graphical illustration of their location on display screen.
That final characteristic characteristic, the HDMI 1.Four ports that help 3D, the 7.1 encompass capabilities, wonderful sound high quality and the iPhone App are what made the VSX-1020 the clear alternative for me. I additionally appreciated the automated calibration with the included microphone and the included iPod cable/compatibility, however these weren’t as sturdy of promoting factors.
The one negatives of observe for me is that the little entrance port cowl is somewhat low-cost. It is not even a door, merely somewhat plastic piece that pops out in case you push one facet. I, like others, have additionally skilled the problem the place the receiver switches to TV/Sat when first turned on, however I’ve but to find out whether or not that is an issue with the receiver itself or my Concord common distant (I will replace the evaluation as I get extra data).
One final tip to patrons, nevertheless. If you happen to’re contemplating listening to your cellphone’s music over Bluetooth by shopping for the $99 AS-BT100 adapter, I would take into account shopping for a $99 Apple Airport Categorical as a substitute (assuming your music is managed via iTunes). It permits you to stream music out of your pc to the receiver over WiFi and management what’s enjoying through iTunes or Apple’s sturdy “Distant” iPhone app, however extra importantly the Airport Categorical acts as a USB print server and a one port wi-fi bridge (one thing that permits you to join wired gadgets to a wi-fi community).
That wi-fi bridge functionality is very worthwhile, since you may want it or one thing comparable for web radio and iControlAV iPhone app help in case your VSX-1020 receiver is not near your wi-fi router (mine is not). Shopping for the Airport Categorical kills two birds with one stone.
A number of concepts have been thrown out by different Amazon posters to assist alleviate the problem with the receiver switching to TV/Sat when it first activates. The primary concept is to alter the receiver’s settings thusly:
“1 Press Receiver, then press Home Menu.
2 Choose ‘System Setup’, then press ENTER.
Three Choose ‘Different Setup’, then press ENTER.
Four Choose ‘HDMI Setup’, then press ENTER.
5. Set Management to ‘Off’.”
The second concept is to regulate your TV settings like so.
“Go into Menu underneath HDMI-CEC and switch it Off. If the set is a Samsung search for AnyNet+ (default is often On) and switch it Off.”
I am nonetheless having points going on to a given HDMI enter when the unit first energy on (going to “HDMI Enter 1” merely toggles the present HDMI enter as a substitute of going on to the one you need), however I’ve made the quirk tolerable by programming one of many buttons on my common distant to toggle inputs, so it is simple to repair.